Thursday, March 15, 2007

Finally, we're on our way

I can't believe the time has finally come. Tomorrow we fly to Moscow. Almost to the day it will be a year for this adoption. I remember last St. Patty's Day running around trying to get our paperwork in so it would be "the day" but it didn't happen and the 23rd is the day. March 23rd our dossier was registered and we officially became waiting parents. For a good nine months before that we were researching adoption and agencies and going through the homestudy process. It felt like it would never come, there were delays, setbacks and more delays. Lots of "holding our breathe" waiting for documents and accreditation. Now yesterday I had the "I'm not ready for this" panic! I can't believe it's here.
This has been a crazy 2 weeks that I already hardly remember. Very busy getting everything ready and worrying we might miss something like a signature, picture or copy of something. Our paperwork all had to be redone because it was expired. Some expire every 90 days, the rest after 1 year. And all the paperwork we've done in the past 16 months has to come with us. I'm really glad we have a printer, copy machine and photo printer! Had I known how many times I'd be asked to overnight something I would have set up an account with Fed Ex...
Last night we packed and we have no idea how we're going to fit 4 pieces of luggage, 2 carry on's and 2 strollers into a Renault. Much less get it all there. Our good friends gave us bags of hand me down's for the kids so we can leave many things behind and 1 piece of luggage is gifts and donations so by the time we leave we should have a lot less "stuff" so we can carry Julia and Jameson. I am trying to picture us each carrying a backpack, baby on the front and 2 pieces of luggage. Does the weight in the backpack have to equal the baby weight so we don't tip over?! We did get them each a seat on the plane, even though they are not able to sit by themselves it will give us all some room to stretch out. We're hoping they'll sleep, but yes, it's going to be a long ride!
Tomorrow will be a long day as we will be in NY for about 8 hours waiting for the Moscow flight. I'm anxious now, I can't imagine what tomorrow will be like. We can't wait to see them again. There is a 9 hour time difference between Moscow and RI for those of you counting.
We wish you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day and St Anthony's Day! To our friends at the Celtic and the Lamoureux's on Saturday and anywhere else there is a celebration, we are with you in spirit and are toasting you about 9 hours earlier than you are toasting us!
Slainte and Nazdrovia! Health (Irish) and Cheers (Russian)
Steven, *Happy Birthday *May you live to be 100 years, with one extra year to repent (maybe 2!). And don't forget the pickle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to write, I'm soo excited for all of you! Don't panic about not being ready, we're never ready for it....we just adjust and do a great job at it too! The room looks warm and welcoming. They'll love it. Hope you all have a great flight there and back. P.S. you won't tip over. LOL.

Love,
Cat

Anonymous said...

Ann/Dave -- Russia here you come and back home before you know it! The room looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those pictures. Hope you have a wonderful flight and hope to see you all soon. Love Agnes

Anonymous said...

I fill with tears every time I read this Blog. What an amazing journey you have both been on. In the end .... A family all together, sharing life ! This is a moment you will cherish forever. Enjoy. I look forward to meeting your children.

Peace and Love always,
Brenda R